Monday, April 23, 2012

And so it begins...


Last week I found myself asking a lot of new questions:  What is going to move people?  Get them excited?  Where do I begin?  Where can I find the epicenter of Detroit culture, movement, history and food?  Can the Tigers be taken seriously with a player batting .056 in the lineup?

Tag the leading runner? Why?

All good food for thought.  And just like most people (I hope), thinking gets me really hungry.  So, I got in my car and headed over to the Eastern Market on Saturday to see what trouble I could get myself into.

If you have never been to the Eastern Market on a Saturday I can honestly tell you that you are missing out on one of the most inspirational, historically significant and sensory-overloading experiences our region has to offer.  Detroiters have been flocking to the corner of Russell St. and I-75 to buy the freshest produce that Michigan, Ohio and Ontario, Canada have to offer since 1891!  One of the longest enduring traditions in the city of Detroit, Saturdays in the Eastern Market are exciting for the eyes, ears, nose and mouth.  Six city blocks reserved for farmers, cultivators, chefs, restaurant managers, bakers, gardeners, singers, food enthusiasts and political activists of all kinds.  This is the pulse of Detroit on Saturdays, this is where the people are.

 Up to 40,000 people swarm the Eastern Market every Saturday
The Market is encircled by a litany of incredible eateries as well.  Supino Pizza, Russell St. Deli, Bert’s BBQ Pizza and Soul Food and the Farmer’s Restaurant (yelp) to name a few.  Over 90 businesses choose to make the Market their permanent residence in order to attract customers.  The culture of Detroit fills the air and it is so thick, you can almost feel it as you inhale the smells and imbibe sounds. 


Saxophone and drums on a beautiful Saturday afternoon
Every Saturday, Uncle Tony sets up his grill and his smoker in front of Bert’s and cooks some of the most delicious chicken, pork and beef that the world has ever had the pleasure of more-or-less digesting.  All day people can walk up to the cash register, buy 2lbs. of ribs for $10 and enjoy them at the outdoor seating or through the doors of Bert’s Jazz Lounge and Restaurant.  Inside, people can sign up to take the open mic and belt out some of the greatest hits that helped establish Detroit as one of the most important cities in the global music industry. B.B. King, Wynton Marsalis, Boy George and Betty Carter are just some of the names that have taken the stage at Bert’s to swoon the guests.  Berry Gordy himself would have been impressed with a couple of the people who sang last weekend.  Big old crooners, Whitney Houston wannabees and even a Prince impersonator dawning ass-less chaps were all pleased to entertain the patrons of Bert’s.  Everyone was feeding off of the energy of the food, the nice weather, the music and each other.  Feeling the love.  That is what its all about.  Bert himself even made time to talk with me amidst a crazy Saturday afternoon.  He told me he would be happy to let me do a piece about him for iEATdetroit.  (Obviously that got me pumped! So stay tuned.) 


Left: Uncle Tony loads up some rib tips. Right: The sign outside Supino Pizzeria! 

Overall, the experience of taking a day by myself and strolling around the Eastern Market was as heart-warming as any weekend I have had all year.  It made me feel great to see a party downtown.  Good hearted fun, welcoming people, diversity, music and food.  That is what I want out of life.  That is what makes people grow.   It makes sense that I am from a place that feels the same way!


Quick Re-cap(s)
Slice of the day
SUPINO PIZZA.  I said it.  It’s so good that you almost feel dirty letting the words out of your mouth.  As creative as it is delicious, Supino Pizzeria lives by the code of Owner and Founder Dave Mancini who wrote on his blog, "if you have good crust you can tr just about anything on top of it."  I tried the Slice of the Day: the Srping Sprung Early.  A white pie with roasted asparagus, Porktown coppa, chèvre and rosemary. Earthshattering.  I'll never be the same.  As people kept flooding the small store front with a hand written sign on the door stating, "One hour wait MINIMUM!" I couldn't help feeling like the one slice, so flaky, doughy, cheesy and light, was not enough! Want to learn more? Check out some reviews from Hour Magazine and Detroit Moxie


Rib tips
BERT’S BBQ, PIZZA AND SOUL FOOD. Ribs, chicken, brisket, pulled pork, Polish sausage and hot dogs so good you will not be able to stop eating it.  I mean, my stomach kept saying, “Hey, Adam, stop.  You are full.  No need to eat the last four rib tips!”  Needless to say my tongue won this battle in the never-ending war between taste and hunger!  Not a lot of reviews out there.  Check out yelp.  But seriously, just go there and eat the food, I promise a religious experience!




Dave of The Brinery
FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF THE EASTERN MARKET. If you are interested in learning more about the people who help stock the 5 Sheds at the Saturday  Eastern Market, what they are selling and how they are using Detroit soil to help grow and cultivate crops, I urge you to check out the website for the Detroit Eastern Market!  Here is a link to their blog, which is very interesting, giving direct insight to the people that are turning the gears of our city.  Without people like them, our city would have a lot less flavor, flowers, coffee and Zen Buddhist Collective kale salads (version 1 and 2). 



This has been a lot of fun!  Please follow me on twitter for updates (@iEATdetroit), like the facebook page and spread the word by good old fashion word of mouth!  Thanks everyone for the support.  Also, if you want to comment on the page and tell me how much you like the blog and what I need to change, I would appreciate it.  
Eat well everyone!



Raymond kitchen mgr. Russell St. Deli
Monk from Detroit Zen Center
Some of the many flowers 
The Zingerman's crew from Ann Arbor
Whitney?


No comments:

Post a Comment