Thursday, May 17, 2012

Restaurant Experienced - Mercury Burger Bar

So, it has been a few days...  But I have needed every second to recuperate from this most recent experience:
A picture says a thousand words, and that's just the toppings!
Last week I went to one of Corktown's newer restaurants, the Mercury Burger & Bar.  Taking over where the Mercury Coffee Bar left off, the Burger & Bar has put together an intense recipe of rich flavors and creative menu items that will have you drooling!  The Mercury Burger & Bar was opened in March of this year on Michigan Avenue and 14th Street.  Originally named after the Mercury Train that traveled from New York to Detroit and on to Chicago, the Mercury Bar had long since closed. Today, The Mercury Burger & Bar looks to breath new life into a resurgent part of town, one wildly-filling burger at a time. More reviews.

My meal at the Mercury Burger & Bar was satisfying in every way.  From the contemporary decor of the dining room to the smells eminating from the kitchen, everything about this place was right up my alley.  There were many highlights to the meal.  The list of Michigan beers suited my taste perfectly, with an abundance of IPAs, stouts, porters and red ales with other, milder options for the less ambitious.  The sweet potato fries were off the charts and the milkshakes were thick and dreamy.  (Is it okay for me to use the word "dreamy"?)  But just when you think you are in for a Johnny Rocket's song and dance, the waiter or waitress slaps down a burger fit for Fred Flintstone... and things get serious.
Fried egg making an appearance
Bacon, chipotle mayo and burger sauce in the house
Brontosaurus burger
Burgers and beer, a novel idea.  The Mercury adds intricate simplicities to an ancient concept making for a mouth-watering display.  The beef just oozes with flavor.  The temperature of the burger was right on point and the toppings, well, they were nothing short of overwhelming.  This was one of those meals that leaves you a little shellshocked. Good luck putting on the breaks once you bite into one of these burgers.  Make sure you come hungry because the meal in store for you is not what I would consider a light snack.  But if you are in town and you are looking for a mountainous portion of meats, cheeses and sauces, make the Mercury Burger & Bar your go-to spot.
I have no idea what is going on here, but I like it
Some pickled carrots? Call them zanahorias
The meal was not quick because of the huge crowd waiting somewhat patiently for their food.  If you are on your way to a Red Wings game and you have only 15 minutes to spare, this probably is not the stop to make.  For after the game or just a regular night on the town, the Mercury Burger & Bar promises a delightful experience.  I got a great feeling from this place.  A fantastic attitude overall, clearly a representation of the management.  They set out to accomplish a goal and so far they are knocking it out of the park.  As long as there are people yearning for delicious burgers topped with anything you can dream up, a creative choice of sides and delicious milkshakes, then the Mercury Burger & Bar should thrive!

OFFICIAL iEATdetroit DINER POWER RANKINGS
Rank
Restaurant
1
Mercury Burger & Bar

There are a ton of categories that Mercury Burger & Bar could have fit into.  I was hesitant to put it up against the Cass Cafe because it really is not a cafe.  But in the never ending search for the best burgers, milkshakes and beer selections, Mercury Burger & Bar could show up on any of those lists, and many more!
This kind of says it all 
Eat well everyone!


3 comments:

  1. I was in Detroit for the weekend...I went to visit because my daughter is a Chef at the restaurant. I was looking forward to a Fish sandwich and because they were out of fish, My daughter suggested the Turkey....in my mind I thought "TURKEY!!...How blan"...ONE bite and I thought "Am I in Heaven? This is AmAzIng!!!"
    I was there with others for a conference...I told others and WE ALL agree! These are the BEST Gourmet Burgers in the City! We all drove 30 min. everyday that weekend just to eat at the Mercury Burger & Bar...The Fact that they support and use Local Beers, product..ect is a PLUS!!! Stop by for a GREAT time and a GREAT MEAL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way when I ate there and I'm a vegetarian! Their toppings and homemade black bean burger are out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Linda and Brittany, thanks for posting. I could not agree more with the analysis by the way!

    ReplyDelete