Monday, June 25, 2012

Restaurant Experienced - Roast

Who wants to see what a 30oz. bone-in porterhouse steak looks like?
Roast porterhouse for two!
At this time, it is appropriate to rearrange your dinner plans.  This steak was phenomenal; cooked to perfection.  To me, consistency and attention to detail are two of the most important qualities that a top-of-the-line restaurant must embody.  I ordered this monster medium-rare.  I got a medium-rare steak.  I was thrilled.
Aside: It is a personal vexation when a waiter or waitress asks what temperature I would like my entree and proceeds to serve me a steak however the cook felt like preparing it.  If I am just going to get a piece of well-done steak no matter what I say, then why bother asking?  In fact, why even ask me what meat I would like?  Just bring out whatever you feel like overcooking.
 This was not the case at Roast...

The steak was prepared exactly the way I like it: red and juicy on the inside, seasoned and charred on the outside.  Mouthful after mouthful, this steak got better and better.  The strip was meaty and delicious.  The tenderloin was other worldly.  It was just sopping in juices.  The meat was so tender that I hardly required a knife to finish the meal.  The fat and the marrow made this plate rich; simply exploding with flavors!  The side dishes were entirely noteworthy as well.  We ate the mushrooms and asparagus, both were full of flavor without the abuse of butter.

Another tasty dish everyone sampled was the salmon.
Salmon
The salmon was equally professionally prepared.  Flaky, moist and crispy on the outside, every bit of this dish was a treat.  It went fast.  The only downfall may be that the dish was so good, that I really did not take my time to savor every bite!

Roast is an incredible restaurant, I really recommend it.  It is very difficult to find a dish on the menu that I would not order and there are choices for every diet.  The food is prepared with care and expertise.  The drinks are creative and delicious too.  Try the perfect pear. I am not sure exactly what it was but it tasted exactly like a pear with a hint of cinnamon on top.  

Roast is located on the ground floor of the Westin Book Cadillac Hotel (wikipedia: worth reading if you do not know about the importance of this historical edifice).  I love driving up to the hotel for dinner.  It makes the history of Detroit so much more tangible.  Walking in to a new restaurant on the ground floor reminds me of our progress.  Eating the delicious food enlightens me about our passionate and artistic neighbors.

Warning: Roast is expensive.  Don't say I did not warn you.

Advice: Roast is worth every penny they charge you.  Eat there as soon as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment